Environmental college: Updated criteria and eligibilty form
The Irish Environmental Network have updated the criteria for groups who wish to be included in the Environmental College of the PPN.It has been streamlined to make it easier to know who is automatically eligible for inclusion, and to show the process which is in place when considering groups. If a group is not on the list of automatically eligible groups, they can complete the Community Group Eligibility Form to be considered for inclusion in the Environmental College. This form should be completed by any group not on the list of automatically eligible groups. Any groups currently in the Community or Social Inclusion Colleges whose core focus is environmental can also use this form to show their work and be considered for inclusion in the Environmental College.
Eligibility criteria for an organisation seeking or renewing membership of the Environmental Electoral College
The primary objectives and activities of the organisation must be
Environmental (i.e. Ecological) protection and / or environmental
sustainability. See list of possible activities in B, below.
- The organisation must be a not for profit organisation.
- The organisation must be formally organised, in line with the criteria to join their county’s PPN.
- The organisation must have been in existence for the period of time in line with the criteria to join their county’s PPN.
- The organisation must be able to demonstrate a substantial level of activity in promoting its aims and objectives over a period of at least 6 months prior to application for membership.
- Single issue protest groups are not eligible for membership. Single issue protest groups are groups who organise themselves around one issue only, with no engagement outside of that issue.
Suggested list of acceptable Environmental areas applicable to regional and local groups who will be eligible to join the Environment Electoral College.
Any group whose main objective is to address environmental, climate,
biodiversity, or sustainability issues is an environmental group. These
● Permanent protection of wildlife
● Permanent protection of habitat
● Species specific care – protection/rehabilitation/reintroduction
● Organic horticulture or education
● Environmental education or protection
● Environmental sustainability
● Resource efficiency and recycling
● Invasive alien species prevention/removal
● Rescue and rehabilitation of wildlife
● Environmental policy
Agreed National Networks whose local groups will automatically be eligible to join the Environment Electoral College
● An Taisce
● Bat Conservation Ireland
● Bee-Keeping Associations
● BirdWatch Ireland
● Butterfly Conservation Ireland
● CELT – Centre for Ecological Living and Training
● Clean Coast Groups
● Climate Action Networks
● Coast Watch
● Community Gardens
● Community Reuse Network
● Community Supported Agriculture
● Coomhola Salmon Trust
● Cycling Campaign
● Eco Congregations
● ECO UNESCO
● Extinction Rebellion
● Food Sovereignty Movement
● Forest Friends
● Friends of the Earth
● Friends of the Irish Environment
● Global Action Plan Ireland
● Good Energies Alliance Ireland
● Green Campuses
● Green Communities
● Green Economy Foundation
● Green Foundation Ireland
● Green Sod Ireland
● Green Schools/Green Campus
● Grow It Yourself (GIY)
● Hedge Laying Association of Ireland
● Irish Peatland Conservation Council
● Irish Seed Savers Association
● Irish Whale and Dolphin Group
● Irish Wildlife Trust
● Local Environmental Networks
● Presentation Ecology
● Rediscovery Centre
● Sustainable Ireland Cooperative
● Sustainable Projects Ireland
● The Curlew Trust
● The Golden Eagle Trust
● The Native Woodland Trust
● The Organic Centre
● Transition Towns
● Vincent Wildlife Trust
● Wildlife Rescue
● Zero Waste Alliance Ireland
If you are not on this list, but your group’s main focus is environmental (ie ecologocal) work, then please fill out the Community Group Eligibility Form to let the Environmental Pillar now of your work and make an informed decision. Once completed, please send this form to Bernard at firstname.lastname@example.org or Grace at email@example.com.